Die for Me - Amy Plum

If I could sum up Die For Me in one word it would be cliché.

• The book features a plain jane heroine who reads a lot. Despite supposedly being plain, several guys, including the love interest, constantly declare how beautiful she is. She, of course, has a tragic past that doesn't quite interfere in her life enough to really ring true, but gives her an excellent excuse to be angsty. And she's also a loner because YA heroines can't have real friends.

• There's a handsome love interest who stalks the heroine. He's an immortal creature and except for one tragic love story during his human life, he has never loved any other girl except for the heroine. Among those of his kind, he is the hottest and has the most self-control and is basically the best at everything. No explanation is given for his super skills.

• The heroine and love interest are instantly attracted to each other and again we have another case of instalove. Other than their physical attraction to each other—shown through endless descriptions of how hot he is, and his incessant need to tell her how hot she is—we're given no reason for why these two people feel so strongly towards each other. Within weeks of dating, they're professing their love and the heroine is willing to risk her own life and the life of her sister to save his life.

• The parents and caregivers are unbelievably absent. In this case, the parents are dead and the grandparents, who are supposedly taking care of the heroine and her sister, are neglectful plot devices, there solely to show how special our heroine is. Most of their conversations included at least a few lines of a dialogue about how the heroine is somehow better than her sister. Also, they let her stay overnight with her boyfriend at his house without even meeting him.

• School. What school? The heroine hardly ever mentions school or doing schoolwork except for reading a book or two for English since she's such an avid reader. She even chooses to miss school to be with her boyfriend with the permission of her grandmother.

So why the extra half-star and the bump up to two stars? Mainly this was due to the original mythology. I like the idea of the revenants and I would have liked to know more about them. Also, the death of the heroine's parents plays a larger role in her life than is typical for the genre, though it still came across as inauthentic. Another plus, the love interest isn't an abusive jerk and he doesn't play mind games with the heroine.

Overall, not the worst YA PNR I've read but still boring and predictable.