Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1) - Megan McCafferty Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty was a quick read and for the most part enjoyable but there are much better books out there in this genre. The story is unfolded through the diary entries of Jessica Darling, a sophomore in high school, whose best friend, Hope, has moved away in the middle of the school year. Despite being a great student, being involved in many extracurricular activities, having tons of friends, and being liked by one of the popular jocks, Jessica feels alone, depressed, and misunderstood. It isn't until she strikes up an unlikely friendship with Marcus Flutie, the resident bad boy, that she begins to find her place in life, school, and in her family.

My main problem with this novel is that I found Jessica unlikable, only marginally funny, and unrelatable. She spends most of the novel complaining about her life and looking down on everyone around her. I felt that a lot of her misery was self imposed. She doesn't like her friends yet instead of finding new ones she chooses to complain about them. While some of her complaints were valid, a lot of them had more to do with the fact that she and her friends had different interests. Most of the characters remain two dimensional cardboard cutouts for the entire novel. Jessica's mother and Bridget get some fleshing out in the end but not enough to make me see them as real people. The only character other than Jessica that has any depth is Marcus, the love interest, and he just didn't do it for me.

I would recommend skipping this book and instead reading the Ruby Oliver series by E. Lockhart, which deals with similar themes, but stars a character who is likable, relatable, and laugh out loud funny.