The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver - E. Lockhart

This was another fantastic read. Unfortunately, I waited too long in between reading the book and writing the review to do a proper job analyzing the details.

Typically in a well-liked series, the first book is my favorite. Notable exceptions include Vampire Academy, the Southern Vampire Mysteries (aka the Sookie Stackhouse series), and now this one. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what made this book more enjoyable than the first two—a difficult feat considering how much I loved them. All of the books in the series feature the lovable and neurotic Ruby Olivier. All of them include multiple laugh-out-loud funny moments. All of them include realistic, well-rounded secondary characters. All of them include complex relationships, and the drama that ensues when those relationships breakdown.

What made this book stand out for me was Ruby's growth as a character. In this novel, she finally learns some of those lessons I'd been hoping she'd learn in the previous two installments. Like a real human being, Ruby doesn't learn everything on the first shot. She stumbles and falls, sometimes painfully, but she does learn.

I cannot recommend this series enough to anyone looking for three dimensional characters, a realistic portrayal of teenage relationships, and a really good laugh.