Saving Francesca - Melina Marchetta This book was simply amazing. It's the kind of book that once I got sucked in, I didn't want to stop reading even though it was 3:00 AM and I needed sleep. Melina Marchetta is one of those writers that is able to capture true human emotion in her writing. She can make you feel what the characters are feeling even when their feelings are necessarily the same feelings you would have in those situations. I laughed and I cried and I loved every minute of it.

While I enjoy Marchetta's conversational writing style and her wit, it was the characters and their relationships with each other that really made this book for me. They sounded, acted, and felt like people I could have known in real life. Each character was distinct and well rounded. They were likable and flawed. No character was perfect and I loved them anyway.

The way the characters interacted with each other was also believable. I absolutely loved all of the friendships. They evolved in a believable way and I could really understand what it was that glued these characters together. When I finished the book, it felt like I was saying goodbye to new friends I'd made and I wanted it to go on. I wanted to hear more about their lives and I'll definitely be reading the sequel, The Piper's Son.

My one small criticism of this book is that I felt that the physical descriptions of some of the characters was lacking or happened too late in the novel. I could still visualize them based on personality alone which is why I didn't notice it until a characteristic would pop up halfway through the book and contradict the picture I'd had in my head.

Overall, a great read and I look forward to devouring Marchetta's other novels in the near future.