The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver - E. Lockhart

I really enjoyed The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver. The title is a mouthful but I fits the tone of this novel perfectly. One of the great things about the Ruby Oliver is that she manages to be relatable without being a self-insertion character—you know, the generic character with an inconsistent or absent personality that is every girl and no girl all at the same time. She has a very strong and consistent personality that makes you feel as though she's a real person that's telling you her story. Like a real person, nothing about her life is perfect. Not her looks, her life, or her personality, and that's what makes her so likable. E. Lockhart is able to capture the thoughts and feelings of a neurotic teenager so well that it's hard to imagine she isn't still in high school herself.

I absolutely adore Lockhart's writing style; it's intelligent, witty, and full of humor. I literally laughed out loud several time while I was reading. This novel does deal with some very real issues that teenagers face without being overly sappy or melodramatic. Lockhart does not sugarcoat teenage life. There's sex and drinking as you would expect in a story about semi-popular teenagers.

Overall a quick and engaging read. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys young adult fiction and wants a good laugh.