The Return: Nightfall (The Vampire Diaries) - L. J. Smith I've put off writing this review because I honestly don't know where to start. This book failed on so many levels. First, even ignoring the rest of the series, the storyline, mythology, and characterization were all terrible. What makes this book even more of a mess is that it doesn't stay true to the original series. Elena was insufferable, first as a strange angel being that walks around naked and kisses people randomly, and then as this perfect paragon of a human being that everyone inexplicably loves and cherishes more than life itself. Bonnie was cowardly and whiney. She was one of the weakest characters I've read about in a while. Matt was even more of a martyr than he was in the original books. Damon's character development over the course of the series was completely ignored as was Caroline's. She became even more of a cardboard cutout villain than she had been before.

All of the references to Japanese culture and mythology came completely out of left field since the only diversity in the original books was that Meredith was part Native American. There was a whole cast of new characters in the small town of Fell's Church that hadn't been there before even though it hadn't even been a year since the events of the first book in the series. It was also jarring that the characters were now carrying modern devices such as cell phones that were absent from the original books.

This was honestly one of the worst books I've read this year which is saying something because I also read Hush, Hush and Fallen not too long ago.