Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice So I finally read Interview With The Vampire, something I've been wanting to read for a long time. I tried once in middle school but the long description really put me off and I couldn't get past the first few pages. What I really liked was that because it was an adult book Rice was able to examine the religious implications of being a vampire on a much deeper level than young adult authors of vampire fiction do, if they discuss it at all. I also liked that although her vampires had the classic traits I discussed in my thoughts on the Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer (beauty, speed, strength, pale skin, aversion to sunlight) they were still flawed in ways that Meyer's vampires and L.J. Smith's vampires are not. They were not Mary Sues, at least not in the first book (I've heard the vampires become Mary Sues as the series goes on.) I could really feel the emotions coming from the characters and even sympathized with them despite the fact that they were killers. I enjoyed the setting. It's clear that Rice knew New Orleans well although I can't say much for the historical accuracy since I don't know much about the history myself. I do think that in some places Rice does use too much description of both the physical setting and Louis' emotions. It is clear that she loves her characters and knows a great deal about them but not all of it has to be said, especially not when it becomes repetitive.