Fallen - Lauren Kate I can say exactly two slightly positive things about Fallen.

1) It's written in third person. It's not well-written in third person but at least it provides some variation to the YA genre which is now heavily dominated by first person narration. Don't get me wrong, I like first person too but I believe in variety and I appreciated the change.

2) It's better than Hush Hush. Hush Hush has set the bar so low that this novel looked slightly better in comparison. I'd probably dislike this book more had I read it before Hush Hush.

Other than the above, everything else was a complete mess. While I've read worse, this book was littered with awkward sentences and grammatical errors to the point where I wondered whether there had been an editor at all. There were also a few sentences that were inappropriate for third person narration. For example, at one point in the prose the author states "the dude went flying" which sounds more like Luce describing the situation rather than a narrator.

The plot was all over the place. The different plot points were thrown together in a choppy way instead of flowing seamlessly together even though they all could have been easily connected. The characterization is beyond terrible. Luce may be more poorly written than Nora. Her behavior makes absolutely no sense and is very inconsistent. For example, her parents send her to a boarding school she hates yet on parents' day, she tries to hide the negative things about the school that would lead them to take her out. No explanation is given for this behavior.

She also jumps to conclusions that no human being without some sort of brain disorder would make. For example, Luce reveals to Daniel that she sees shadows and his response to this is shock that she can actually see them. A normal person would be surprised that he knew what they were and then want to ask what he knows about them. Instead, Luce assumes that Daniel is making fun of her.

Although the angels are supposed to have some biblical basis, there were inconsistencies between the mythology in the book and biblical angels, both the Judaic and Christian interpretations. The angel mythology makes no sense whatsoever both in terms of the bible and in terms of common sense. Although this is part of a series, I felt that more needed to be explained by the end of the first novel so that the novel would make more sense.

The historical inaccuracies in this novel were atrocious. For example, there is a photograph of Luce and Daniel from 1854 where they are both smiling (with teeth showing). Smiling! In a picture taken in the mid-19th century where one had to stay still for long periods of time due to the slow speed of the camera. A quick google image search for "photograph 1854" will show that no one is smiling in any of those pictures.

The reform school was the biggest joke. It was completely unrealistic which would have been fine if Luce had been questioning the absurdity of it and if the author had given a reason for the absurdity such as the reform school being a cover for something else. From what I can tell it's supposed to be a real reform school that a bunch of fallen angels just happen to go to along with some regular humans. And although some of the staff are also angels or angel helpers, some of the staff aren't which begs the question of why they're okay with the unorthodox nature of the school.

Also, the book mentions that Daniel comes from the "Los Angeles County Orphanage" except the U.S. does not have an orphanage system anymore. That's right, we now have a foster care system. When a minor becomes an orphan they are either placed with relatives if there are some who are able and willing to take them or they are placed in a foster home. Luce doesn't even blink an eye when she reads that Daniel came from the "Los Angeles County Orphanage".

Lastly, there is another inane love triangle in this book. It's clear from the beginning that the love interest that actually has some promise in that he treats Luce well and is somewhat charming, is going to turn out to be evil. Instead the great love story of this book is between Luce and Daniel, a guy who flips her off when he first sees her and then continues to insult and reject her for most of the novel. But we're somehow supposed to buy into their love because of their super special soul mate connection. At least it's better than Hush Hush where the love interest is trying to kill the heroine for most of the novel and continually sexually harasses her along the way.

Like so many other YA novels I can't believe that anyone would publish this book. Even more baffling is that some people actually enjoyed reading it. I certainly didn't.