30 Day Book Challenge: Day 22 - A book that makes you cry

Gone with the Wind - Pat Conroy, Margaret Mitchell Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver The Piper's Son - Melina Marchetta Little Women: (Classics Deluxe Edition) (Penguin Classics Deluxe Editio) - Louisa May Alcott Say Goodnight, Gracie - Julie Reece Deaver

There is no book that has made me cry harder and longer than Gone with the Wind.  When I read it I had already seen the movie multiple times so I knew what was coming and it didn't make it any less painful.  I was basically a sobbing mess for the last 100 pages precisely because I knew what was going to happen.  I also remained depressed for three days after reading it, though I in no way regret reading it.  I love it when I can have such a strong emotional connection to a book.

I cried hard at the end of Before I Fall.  Can I again say what a fantastic book this is?  It's incredibly sad, but a wonderful story.  The ending is beautiful and heartbreaking.  I can't recommend this book enough to those who enjoy young adult fiction.

I'm pretty sure more than one Melina Marchetta book has reduced me to tears but none more so than The Piper's Son.  There is so much heartbreak, loss, and grief within these pages, and it comes in many different forms.  It's such a beautiful story.

Little Women is also incredibly sad, not only because Beth dies, but also because Laurie marries Amy.  Ugh.  That part always makes me sad because he totally belongs with Jo and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

Say Goodnight Gracie is a little known young adult novel that I read back in middle school, and it's the first book that I remember making me cry.  There may have been others before it but this one really stuck out.  I only read the book once nearly two decades ago and yet I still recalled the title when I read today's challenge.  It had that kind of impact on me.

Honorable Mentions: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling and Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce.  They both made me cry because characters I loved and cared about died in both of them.